Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Consequences for Not Supporting the Oil and Automotive Markets.

Abbotsford motorists literally drive me up the wall. I can't tell you the number of times I've almost been hit on my longboard, bike, or even my own two feet. The majority of these times have been when I'm wearing bright colours, a bright lime green hate or florescent orange rain jacket. I have already witnessed one of my friends being smoked by a van making a left hand turn and not paying attention to the group of us crossing.

This doesn't even mention the number of times I've been flipped off for simply not driving a car. That's the only reason I've managed to come up with, or am I not supposed to cross the intersection when there's a little man engaged in the action of walking shining on me in LED infused light. Right, I forgot, that man actually means the people making left hand turns through that walk way have superior rights to the road because they drive automobiles, so get out of there way because they are coming through.

Today was just ridiculous though. I was on my way to work, biking, when I came to an intersection where the lights were not working. In this situation, drivers, cyclists and pedestrians alike are supposed to treat it as a four way stop. This however, was a free for all. So finally when I had what seemed like an opportunity to get through, some lady decided to take a left turn and almost ran into me. She never noticed and kept speeding on her way to her spa appointment she was probably late for. What ticked me off the most was the driver whom I passed on my right who gave me the ugliest look and hand flare action that suggests the phrase, "What the hell are you doing?"

Three minutes later, I discovered that I left my bike lock at home and needed to go through the dreaded intersection one more time. As I was waiting for an opportunity to go, the driver on my left speed through the intersection, glared at me, and flipped the bird. For what? For waiting for my turn to go? For being on a bike? For not buying a car and supporting the used auto market? I have no clue.

Abbotsford needs to get a clue. I would bike on the sidewalks only it's illegal, and not much safer. Drivers must realize that they share the road with more than themseleves and their agendas. And please, let's show courtsey and a common concern for everyone's safety, not obsecene gestures and bad language.