Friday, May 16, 2008

Culture Shock

I'm back from India, been back for a while actually. It was one of, if not the, most amazing experience of my life to date. Incredibly eye-opening and life changing. I'll probably be talking about it lot's, ether in this blog, or in person. There is one thing I wish to talk about though and that is culture shock.

Most people have asked me if I experienced any sort of culture shock and the answer, surprisingly, has been no. I think I was able to somewhat come to grasps with the reality that our cultures are vastly different. I think I owe this to our team leader and his diligence to prepare us for our first hand witness of this difference. Needless to say, I have had to tell people that I have not experienced any real culture shock - that is until today.

This evening, a friend and I went to go see the highly praised Iron Man, and if it wasn't for the fact that my dear friend had payed for me, I most likely would've walked out. One scene in particular was very difficult for me to watch because it took place in a village, similar to ones I had just been to, and included a boy who reminded me of someone I had met in India.

Now before I go any further, I understand that I was in India and that the setting for this movie was probably no where near there. However, scenes were like flash backs in my mind and people resembled those I had met, making this movie hit uncomfortably too close to home.

I think what made me most upset about this movie was the fact that it victimized and made enemies out of the beautiful people in the middle east while, in the same foul swoop, idolized America and Home Land Security. The movie was essentially propaganda for Bush's facade war against terror and non-white, American, christian extremists.

I won't comment any more on this because I don't know enough about politics and media. My friend explores this subject beautifully in her internet writings and I encourage you to read 17. I guess what I want to say is that the culture shock I finally faced was not shock of someone else's culture, but our own. Shock at how we can portray people, other human beings, in such a way that benefits our government policies. (Yes, Canada is involved in the middle east as well.) Furthermore, I am shocked at how we can walk away from this propaganda flick, discuss how much we enjoyed the action, explosions, acting, and looks of the female lead, and yet be totally blind to the racism and hidden agenda's of this film.


1 comment:

FullyCompletely said...

dammit... you've uncovered my secret identity.

I want to hear of your trip.