Sunday, June 1, 2008

Week's End


Last weekend, I was bored. I've spent the last month siting on my butt, being unemployed. It's not a fun position to be in. So, last weekend, I did my research on the Greater Vancouver Area Transit System, tuned up my bike, and downloaded a whole bunch of new music and uploaded it onto my broken and worn out old iPod. Tuesday morning came and I hoped on my bike and pedaled my way to Aldergrove, caught a bus which took me to a train which took me to a bus which took me to another bus which took me to a ferry which eventually took me to family and friends in the beautiful city of Victoria. Run-on sentences aside, the following are a few random thoughts from my little adventure. 

1. I am new to public transit so I've picked up on a few trends of this public marvel. Most of these rules are common sense; Have your fare ready before you get on the bus, make sure to give seating priority to senior citizens and mothers with strollers; that sort of commonality. There are a few that stuck out however. 

The first one I noticed was the siting/standing rule. Buses get to a point when there are no more seats left and people have to stand at that point. There is also a point when people get off the bus, leaving their seat empty. When this happens, the person closest to the empty seat will announce that there is an empty seat for someone to sit in. Under no circumstances however, should anyone take this seat (with the exception, of course, of senior citizens and the handicapped). Taking this seat would announce to the rest of the bus that - out of all the people standing - you are the most important and deserving of that seat, introducing a sort of hierarchal system into the scene. This, as we all know, is completely inappropriate in Canadian Society focused on ensuring that everyone is equal. The flaw of this rule is that it leaves the seat unused and implies the fact that the seat maker has a useless profession. That is just my thought anyways.

The second rule of public transit is that no one should talk under any circumstances. There are, however, two groups of people who are exempt from this rule. The first group are those annoying and loud cellphone talkers who believe everyone in the bus should hear their one sided conversation about the latest office gossip. The second group are the crazies who have the amazing ability to carry on a conversation with their imaginary friends. 

2. Bikes are large and suck to have on the sky train.

3. Come to think about it, I probably didn't need my bike at all on this trip.

4. I was thinking... is it acceptable, or even possible for one to backpack across Canada - or anywhere in Canada for that matter - when they are indeed Canadian themselves?

5. I've decided that Victoria is my favorite city, even if it lives under the constant threat of level 9 earthquake. I love the atmosphere, the architecture, the cool shops, eccentric cafés, the ocean, all the green space, and the fact that I have family there. Victoria is the most beautiful city I know, it is always sunny there, and I believe it has the largest population of hippies, long boarders, and hippy long boarders of any city in Canada. Note to self; If I ever have the balls to date again, I'm going to bring her on an epic date to Victoria. Maybe I shouldn't share that with the world...

7. I love the sun! I love summer! 

6. Thanks to baby Dorian (or the bird as the affectionately call him in the Culp home) and 2 straight hours of holding him and pacing back and forth the living room just to keep him from screaming, I found myself, for a brief moment, never wanting children. Ethier that or I will adopt when they are past the "hold my 20 pound little body for two hours and walk in 300 circles around this limited space or else I'll scream in your face" phase. 

This statement is might not be exactly true, but let it be known all women ages 16 - 35, children aren't always cute, especially when they throw up all over you.

7. I really do love kids though.

8. When you have 5 beers and a glass of scotch in your system and you start talking about class nine earth quakes and how Victoria is expecting one within the next 987 years, you swear that you start seeing the lamp next to you shake and start hearing the ground rumble. It's all in your head though... or maybe in the 5 beers you just drank. 

9. I hope that earthquake doesn't happen on my epic date.

10. Albums enjoyed on this trip:
Bob Marley - One Love (Greatest Hits)
The Subways - Young for Eternity
Ratatat - LP3 (I mean... I don't have that yet... how could I? It hasn't been released.)
Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
Battles - Mirrored
Iron and Wine - Woman King
MSTRKRFT - The Looks
Cold War Kids - Robbers and Cowards
Led Zeppelin - Mothership (also a greatest hits compilation)

11. You can find my sorry attempt at photography here.

12. This was bloody long, I wonder if anyone will even read this. Feel free to comment. It feeds my ego.

5 comments:

kayla s said...

several things:

- i love public transit. the first time i ever went on, i didn't know we had to show our bus passes, i just assumed they would know. i mean, after all the only buses i had ever been on with any regularity was the bus that took me to school everyday. so, i get on and just said "Hey!" to the bus driver and walked past, having him yell and me and every other passenger look at me as if i had leoprasy. with this in mind, i love the random things passengers get up to on transit. i adore listening to the brave souls who actually do engage in conversation on the bus. i love seeing people unwillingly shuffle to the back, the negotiations of who gets this newly empty seat. people watching on city buses is fantastic.

- cut copy is awesome

- when i graduate i am traveling across Canada. i think seeing the country is an important part of understanding your nationality. in that time, maybe i will come to Victoria and you can change my mind about it. it breaks my heart to see how much you love it and how poorly i remember it, so therefore you now get the heavy burden of changing my mind about the city

FullyCompletely said...

hahaa I thoroughly enjoyed this man.

I love the crazies and their imaginary friends. I could observe crazy city people for hours on end.
While on the topic of craziness, have you seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? Cause it's great.

Greg said...

thanks for your comments guys!

Kayla: When you come here.. I'll be here, and we can explore victoria, vancouver, and the coast in general.

Sarah: I have not seen this movie, but will put it on my must see list.

Harrison Mooney said...

Good post.

It's sad that seat makers get a bum deal.

^ GREATEST PUN EVER

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha! And you know what? Dorian is an EASY baby! The good news is that when they are your own flesh and blood, the puke, poo, pee, snot, and every other nasty bit is a lot easier to deal with. And just one moment of them gazing into your eyes can wipe out the memory of the last thing they broke, vomited on, or got into for the millionth time.

Your time will come Bro...